The first Macedonia M. B. Church was erected in the area where the cemetery is today. The land was a gift from W. W. Keith over one hundred years ago around December 7, 1888. Mr. Samuel Thomas and Mr. Ed Griffin were trustees at that time. The church’s cornerstone was established in 1896. Records show that four acres of land for cemetery use were purchased from George Washington James on August 7, 1920, with Henry Sullivan, John Ed Thomas and Alex Griffin as trustees of the Macedonia Cemetery.
As the building doubled as a school for area children, wood burning heaters provided a source of heat while kerosene (also known as coal oil) lamps attached to the walls supplied light for the building. The luxury of electric lights was added during the late 1930’s.
After a period of years, the foundation began to give away and the building started to lean, so the men (concerned and interested in preserving the church) cut logs to prop the church so that services and worship would not be interrupted.
Unfortunately, in 1923 the church was destroyed by a storm. For a while worship services were held under a bush harbor built by the men of the church. During this interim the Macedonia School was constructed and church services were held at the school.
The second church was built in 1930 in its present location on land donated by Mrs. Cody Brown. Being anxious to move into the new facility the congregation began using the building before it was completed and sealed, making for a cold church in winter. Because it was so very cold in the building during winter months, the school was used for worship services.
The church had a steeple in which a large bell hung. Because there were no telephones the ringing of the bell was used as a source of information to church members and community alike. Mr. Rufus Griffin rang the bell on Sunday mornings to alert members that services would be held.
A linear history of the church is contained in the following paragraphs.
1972 Pastor Nehemiah Bowdre led the membership in adding restrooms, water fountains, new piano,
chairs, tables and pulpit.
1977 New pews and a partially carpeted floor were purchased under the leadership of Pastor Raymond
1981 Air conditioning and a sound system came to Macedonia Church with Pastor Zannie Leland, Jr. in
1986 Church renovations included new windows, light fixtures, ceiling fans, two additional rooms,
three restrooms, pastor’s study, kitchen, baptistery, front porch, sidewalks, and carpeting. This
was also the year that the church became a brick building and more air conditioning was added.
1994 The sanctuary and baptistery were completely renovated along with restrooms and vestibule. A
new steeple brought a totally different look to the church.
1995 Ralph Bledsoe, a local artist, painted the baptistry with scenes from the Jordan River.
1996 Rev. Arnette Ray Morris was led by the Holy Spirit to unite with the church serving as associate
minister. This was an historic first for Macedonia Church.
1997 Bro. Jack Lamberth took the lead in adding a road to the southwest corner of the cemetery.
1998 Repairs to the roof at the rear of the church were made and a new piano was purchased.
2002 The church parking lot was concreted and a new sign erected in front of the church.
2008 The Macedonia and Concord Churches paid the final note on the Macedonia-Concord
2010 The land south of the church which connects the old property with the cemetery was purchased
with the goal of expanding the present location for future generations.
2011 New music instruments and stove for the kitchen were purchased.
The most recent chapter in the history of Macedonia M B. Church began with the opening of the doors of the new church. The Groundbreaking Ceremony for the new facility was held Sunday, September 6, 2015, under the holy leadership of Reverend Dr. Zannie Leland, Jr. Associate ministers at the time were Dr. Barbara Bledsoe, Rev. Clarence Powell, Sr., Rev. Francis Harris, Rev. Eugene Lamberth, and Rev. Loretta Logan. The diaconate included Lygunnah Bean, Jack Lamberth, William Lamberth, Jr., Jeffrey Bean, John Morris, Roy Ellis, Billie Key and Ralph Bledsoe.
Each auxiliary of the church played an important role in planning for the building of the new church by providing input to help serve the auxiliaries’ needs. Members were also instrumental in planning as each was encouraged to offer suggestions to help design a building that would be functional and aesthetically pleasing for all. A committee made up of members of the ministerial staff, deacons and deaconesses, other ministries, and the congregation was utilized to bring about the successful construction of the building.
Funding for the project was contributed by the Arthur Pearson Building Fund, donations to the Wall of Jerusalem (located in the breezeway between the old and new facilities), and pledges from current and former church members.
The beautiful sanctuary is surrounded by a spacious foyer, meeting and classrooms, and a generous study for the pastor. Additional rooms for various activities and a balcony with extra seating are located on the upper level.
The official opening of the new sanctuary and ribbon cutting was Sunday, July 31, 2016. Dedication services were held nightly August 30-September 1, 2016, culminating with a Worship Celebration on Sunday, September 4, 2016 with a “packed house”.
Copyright © 2022 MACEDONIA BAPTIST CHURCH - BATESVILLE, MS - All Rights Reserved.